Near the Duomo stands the elegant City Hall, which was rebuilt and enlarged after the 1930 fire. The façade is embellished with bas-reliefs of Lions of Saint Mark and the  ancient coat-of-arms of the most influential Venetian podestà (mayors) and noble local families.



The Duomo is dedicated to Saint John and Saint Paul. The cathedral was built on the remains of an earlier church and was consecrated by the Bishop of Trieste Arlongo dei Visgoni (Harlongus von Voitsperg) on 29th December 1263. In the first half of the 15th century, the façade of the building, built in Romanesque style, was covered with slabs of white stone turning the cathedral into a great example of Venetain Gothic style architecture. Above the portal, in the upper part, a magnificent rose window can be found. In the middle of the rose window there is the image of the Virgin and child. The window is surrounded by three ephigraphs: the one on the left side celebrates the complex restoration which was carried out in 1865; the upper epigraph recalls the beginning of works on the façade under the Bishop Nicolò (allegedly a member of the Aldegardi familiy); and the one on the right side mentions the podestà (mayor) Pietro Dandolo (1466-1467), under whom the restoration of the church was completed. In the lower part of the façade, two elegant Gothic windows stand on each side of the main portal, on top of which there is a lunette with a high-relief depicting the Trinity, worshipped by Saint John and Paul. The church’s interior is divided into three naves. Its simple style dates back to the end of the 1930s, when the church was renovated and the lateral Baroque altars were removed. A fragment of the magnificent fresco dating to the 14th century can still be seen on the central nave. Along the walls there are some 18th and 19th century processional lights, belonging to ancient fraternal orders.



Saint Francis Church, which has been almost completely rebuilt in 1411, is an important example of Gothic Franciscan church architecture. Inside it contains some important examples of historic heritage like (as) headstones with coat-of-arms dating back to the the 16th and 17th centuries and commemorating the ancient noble families of Muggia. The church houses two altar-pieces of great value depicting the Madonna of the girdle  (17th century) by the Venetian painter G. Liberti, and the Virgin of the Milk (14th century), as well as  an interesting example of Vesperbild or Pietà (15th century). Before Napoleon’s arrival, next to the church stood a convent, which was afterwards abandoned. In its place in 1964 the new parish house was built. The medieval centre of Muggia had a tortoise-shape and was surrounded by walls, which are still partially visible. Of the ancient defensive structure only a tower and two doors, the northern and the eastern one, are still exisitng. 



The hill of Muggia Vecchia rises west of the center of the city. The ancient medieval village was graudally adandoned for a new settlement near the sea: the present-day Muggia, which was encircled by walls and overlooked by the castle.


The Archaeological Park

Following the recent campaigns of excavations, an archeological park has been established on the hill of Muggia Vecchia. The park’s pathways with didactic panels enable the visitor to discover the history of this unique fortified medieval village. 


The Saint Mary of the Assumption Basilica

A few kilometers away from the town center of Muggia, on the southwestern hill, stands the Romanesque basilica of the Saint Mary of the Assumption. In front of the basilica there is a square with a great view on the Muggia valley and the city of Trieste. The ancient religious building is all that remains of the Castrum Muglae. It is built with sandstone and its interior is divided into three naves. Throughout the centuries it has been remodeled and restored several times.



Muggia is dominated by a fourteenth century castle, a fortress built by Patriarch Marquado in order to control the tough citizens of Muggia when the pro-Venetian party, led by Raffaele di Ser Steno, took possession of the town for two years (form November 1372 to November 1374).

Construction works were initiated in 1375 and completed in 1399. The building has been changed several times throughout the centuries. 

In 1991 it was bought by private owners who restored it to its former glory.